This is going to be one of my “tough love” posts 🙂 Let’s start this conversation by defining ROI. That stands for Return on Investment and not Return on Expense. Who expects a return on an expense (ROE) anyway? I’ve never even heard of that term before. However, every day we make investments with the hope, the expectation, of receiving some form of return. How many of you out there have actually invested in yourself? Invested in your own success? Investing in a networking group, any networking group, in terms of time and money, is exactly that. It is an investment and it in no way should this be confused with being an expense.
Still, I hear this all the time … “My company won’t pay my dues”. Assuming that your compensation is at least partially based on your ability to generate new revenues, I’d have to ask … “Why should they?” Of course, if they do, that’s very nice but, if you can invest $100 (time and money) a week and get $200 back in return and you won’t do it because your company won’t pay for your dues, who’s not the sharpest knife in this drawer? If on the other hand, you are a salaried employee, I would expect your company to pay. Enough said about that.
Now then, since you have made the wise decision to make this investment, let’s talk about how to maximize your return:
- You attend (you personally, not an alternate) a minimum of 75% off all meetings. This will be dependent on your particular groups’ bylaws.
- You do a presentation to your group sometime during the first 6 weeks of membership.
- You contribute a minimum of two written leads per week including those weeks that you may be unable to attend.
- You meet with 6 other members off-site to get to know each other better and you do this quarterly.
- You provide the group operator with a full-profile on you that is suitable for the groups’ website within 10 days of your start date.
- You begin to take advantage of any and all of the group tools and resources that are available to you within 10 days of your start date.
- You meet or exceed any and all of the other requirements for membership as specified by your group.
Thanks for visiting!